Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Interior Fun Stuff

After insulating the house, they cleaned it up very nicely. All of the sawdust, extra cables and other construction debris was swept up and taken out. I was very impressed!

Miles and I spent 4 hours with the carpet, tile, wood floor, granite, etc. person last Friday, then I met Jamie and the flooring designer again on Wednesday for another 2 hours. I am very happy with the tile and flooring decisions we've made. I'm very excited about the tile for the fireplace and the way we tied it into a decorative insert piece above the range - very cool.

We also pretty much settled on the granite for the kitchen, but need to see if the fabricator has a remnant piece for the powder bath and the master bathroom. We may go with something simpler for the master bath. Then we'll need to decide about what we want to do for the backsplash - tile or a piece of the granite. I sort of prefer tile, but I want to see what kind of remnant piece or other we decide for the master bath.

I think we've also settled on Hickory for the floors. I was hoping/wanting to go with something darker like Mahogany, but I was talked out of it because a dark floor will show all the dirt and animal hair that we will have living out on the farm. I like the variation in Hickory, though, and am starting to like the lighter color. We've got a lot of dark colors in the kitchen, so it will be better probably.

We also decided not to do a wood hallway upstairs, we'll carpet that. We were also contemplating a tile entryway, but because of the way the floor and stairs and rooms came together, we couldn't get a good spot for that. We decided to keep it all wood and I think we'll be happy with that. We'll define the dining room floor with a big area rug. Cost us less money as well, so Miles is happy. Sounds like we might be at or under budget, so that's good!

No comments: